Most of my friends have come to this day…a corner turned, a page flipped, that marks a milestone of numbers attached to your name.
Today, I joined the quarter century club. I am 25 years old now.
Leading up to this day was fun for me. I am a firm believer in telling the future by telling the past. Where have a been? What did I do that got me where I am and made me who I am?
Reflective and soft? Sure, but my mind never sleeps!
So the last 15 days have been a collection of tweets marking miracles, 15 memories of times that have shaped me.
Today begins the countdown to 25… 15 days until I’m a quarter century. Where have I been? Where am I going? What am I most thankful for? How about one shoutout a day… #15to25
— Ky Sisson (@kysisson) December 2, 2017
2. Win fair and square…I ran for class president in 6th grade. Mom wanted to buy those who voted for me ice cream (smart campaign manager!). The teacher shut it down! I won the election and saw w/ good ideas and some charisma, you don’t need ice cream’s help. #14to25
— Ky Sisson (@kysisson) December 2, 2017
4. Somethings gotta stick… Sophomore year @biolau I did a story on a big strike at the LBC port. Little did I know it would be seen by a Chicago TV producer who hired me for freelance. Keep putting whatever it is you do out there. Eventually something will stick! #12to25
— Ky Sisson (@kysisson) December 4, 2017
6. A Two-Time Loser…I was nominated for prom and homecoming king in high school. I lost both times. Eh, oh well…I was able to move on, go to college and graduate. Made for a good year book pic w/ Mom, though. (Mark Farthing also lost twice I think. Lol) #10to25🤴🏻🙅🏼♂️ pic.twitter.com/BKf785stUG
— Ky Sisson (@kysisson) December 7, 2017
8. Timing Is Everything…Working @ktvn was a dream since the 8th grade (this vid is proof)! My job now is because of a series of decisions I made which allowed for things out of my power to fall into place. So thankful for this opportunity! #8to25 https://t.co/qJlopkaAyL
— Ky Sisson (@kysisson) December 9, 2017
10. A Second Chance At Life…Summer 2017 was a rough one. Our Papa was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer, but it wasn’t a death sentence for him. Faith is an amazing thing. ==> https://t.co/2TtlA5Y8Bk #6to25 @gracechurchreno
— Ky Sisson (@kysisson) December 10, 2017
12. First Time’s a Charm…I visited @biolau in November 2010 for my first ever college visit. It was for a journalism event. I loved the campus, the professors, the feel of the place. When you know, you know…I knew it was where I would go and so very thankful I did. #3to25 pic.twitter.com/c6cQdE5NIS
— Ky Sisson (@kysisson) December 12, 2017
14. Lucky to be Well-Traveled…Our grandparents would take @KaylaSisson1 and I on a yearly road trip. We went all over the country! The memories are kept in scrapbooks. Glad they are, because these were special times! #1to25 pic.twitter.com/WDvEgLtk48
— Ky Sisson (@kysisson) December 15, 2017
So there you have it. I could have put 15+ more influential people, places, and moments on this list!
A birthday is like your own personal New Year. For me, many, many changes are coming in 2018.
I have decided to resign my position as traffic anchor at KTVN and work for my family’s successful and compassion-driven businesses, Lend-A-Hand Senior Services. I have been tasked to continue our legacy of providing quality, in-home care to seniors in our community. It’s something we never thought I would do, but sometimes God taps you on the shoulder and you either listen or keep the course and hope the door doesn’t hit you along the way!
This top 15 list has been a collection of me listening closely for those “taps” from God. It happened when I went to Biola, Washington D.C., KTVN…and here I am again at a time of making big moves in faith they will prosper.
I am nervous. I am unqualified. I have never done anything other than television, but as my Mom said to me in confidence, “It’s in your blood.”
On this 25th birthday, I just want to say thank you to my wonderful parents for giving me every tool I ever needed to seek out and achieve dreams.
To my Lord & Savior Jesus Christ for his blessings, love, and commission to seek out and love others.
And to you…for reading this here blog. “Home Means” is about people’s stories. This one happens to me about me. But what is your story? Where have you been? Where are you going? I encourage you to think, listen, pray for a life that is full of twists, laughs, prosperity, and hardship.
Life really is a journey.
PS) I wonder when I’ll do this again…40 maybe?