The CASA Foundation, otherwise known as a Court Appointed Special Advocate, has made it their mission nationwide to serve as a voice for abused and neglected children. Washoe County’s program is one of 949 state and local CASA organizations that not only supports volunteers, but recruits and trains them so children have the best possible representation; and that’s not all. The Foundation’s financial support has allowed volunteers to help their child get the services they need, such as tutoring, clothes and school supplies.
Now that you’re sold on how great this organization is, it’s extremely easy to get involved over the next week! Washoe CASA is partnering with Barnes & Noble to raise funds for the foundation. The event, Book-tober Fair, is happening now through Wednesday, November 1. The nationwide book store is donating a portion of their sales (books, merchandise, Starbucks coffee, The Cheesecake Factory cheesecake and other Barnes & Noble Café food items) to CASA. All you have to do is mention CASA at checkout and just like that, you’re making a difference in the life of a child.
If online shopping is more your speed, get your read on at www.bn.com/bookfairs and enter the Book-tober Fair voucher ID #12200952 during checkout on the payment page. But the fun doesn’t stop there! The fundraiser is featuring family-friendly events detailed below:
- Stop by the Washoe CASA Foundation table for a monster or Halloween glitter tattoo, located at the front of the store.
- The haunted house mural needs your help. Located in the Kid’s Department. Come add your creative flair with markers or crayons.
- Stop by the CASA table and pick up a spider or skull to decorate and name, then hang it on the trees next to the haunted house in the Kid’s Department.
Wednesday, October 25:
- All day – Collect the fifth limited edition button, the Bat. Collect all seven, while supplies last.
- 11 a.m.-noon – Storytime followed by a fall-themed craft activity. Located in the Kid’s Department.
- 6:30-7:30 p.m. – Make a Halloween Character Bookmark.
Friday, October 27:
- All day – Collect the sixth limited edition button, the Ghost. Collect all seven, while supplies last.
- 11:00 a.m.-4 p.m. – Celebrate Nevada Day. Join us every half hour for craft activities celebrating our statehood and the fall season. A Scavenger Hunt around the store begins at 3 p.m.
Saturday, October 28:
- Collect the seventh and last limited edition button, the Witch. Collect all seven, while supplies last.
- 11:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. – Face painting.
- 11:00 a.m.-noon – It’s the traditional Barnes & Noble Saturday morning storytime followed by a fall-themed craft activity. Located in the Kid’s Department.
- 1:00-2:00 p.m. – Local author, Virginia Castleman hosts a “Build a Scary Story” writing workshop for elementary school aged children.
- 3:00-5:00 p.m. – Local author, Virginia Castleman hosts a “Build a Scary Story” writing workshop for middle and high school youth.
- 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. — Join us every hour for craft activities: color the haunted house, decorate a spider to hang on the haunted trees, decorate a bookmark or picture frame and more.
Sunday, October 29:
- 11:00 a.m.-3:45 p.m. – Join us for a craft you might have missed or for a new one! There will be lots to choose from.
Also, join the Kiwanis Club and make a ghost lollipop.
- 4:00-4:30 p.m. – Wear your Halloween costume and participate in the Scavenger Hunt around the store.
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. – Halloween Costume Parade and Contest. Open to all kids and youth up to age 18.
Tuesday, October 31:
- 5:30-7:00 p.m. – Scavenger Hunt followed by a Halloween Costume Parade and Contest. Open to all kids and youth up to age 18.
Wednesday, November 1:
- 11:00 a.m.-noon – Storytime followed by a fall-themed activity. Located in the Kid’s Department.
All these events are free to participate in and are taking place at Barnes & Noble in Reno at 5555 S. Virginia St. If you’d like to learn more about CASA and how you can continue their efforts to helping children, visit them online or call 755-574-8820